Sunday, June 20, 2010

The book of Haggai


I am up super early for a sunday, but that is because I am going to breakfast with some of my friends before the 9 o'clock service at the village. The only thing that would make this morning better is if my husband didn't have to work and could go with. So I am up extra early, seeing as how I don't have to leave for another 35 minutes, so I decided to do a little quiet time before I went. I actually just opened my bible to a random place and it landed on the book of Haggai.
The whole book is about the prophet Haggai and his people who focused so much on their own houses and wealth that they totally ignored God's house. Since they did this, God was stern with them, and all that they produced was cut in half, they ate but were not full, they drank but were not satisfied, they clothed themselves but were not warm and they made money to put into purses with holes in them. I think thats such a great way of putting things, because God did not let them get fulfilled, because he was not being fulfilled by them. It just goes to show that if God is put first in our lives, then we will always be fulfilled. There may be hard times and there may be extremely low times, but God will always be there, and all we have to do is turn to him, and he will help us. This is something that I have really been trying to do lately, because I feel the pull from God to do so. I want to be a better person and live a more Christ filled life, and I think the only way to do that would be to focus on God and have a daily in depth relationship with him. I don't want to be one of those people that other people dread talking to, because they are too churchy I want to be someone who can speak to people about God and not turn them off of him. I want to be real with them, and help them live a good life. I think a lot of the times churches come off as pushy and even impersonal, and I think they lose a lot of people because of that. There are always those little clicks that happen in churches, and whenever you are a teenager, and aren't in those clicks, it can be really hard on you. It makes you turn away from the church for reasons that should never be. I don't want to be like that towards people, I just want to help them out with what I can and show them Christ's love through my actions.
If you think about it, that's what Jesus did. You didn't see him avoiding the unclean or making sure he saved people by entertaining them. He was real with people and helped out people and hung around the poor and unclean people. If you shield yourself from all of the wrong in the world and shield yourself from the poor or the lost, then there is no point in being a christian. God asked us to live lives just like Jesus did, not sit in our nice house with our nice cars and clothing and be shielded away from the poor. I don't ever want to be someone who sits in their nice house and forgets about everyone suffering in the world. I want to walk with the poor and help them, I want to reach those people in need and give my life for them. You often think of Mother Teresa who worked with leprosy her whole life, she didn't have to do that, but she was called by God to do so. I want to live a life like that, because she truly relied on God, and was never hungry, thirsty or unclothed. He made sure she was fulfilled everyday, because He was fulfilled by her.
So I want to live a life guided by Haggai 1: 3-6: Now this is what the Lord Almighty says:"Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but have harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it."

No comments: