Friday, June 4, 2010

excited to be alive!

Luke 18:22-25
When Jesus heard his answer, he said "There is still one thing you haven't done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." But when the man heard this he became very sad, for he was very rich. When Jesus saw this, he said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God! In fact it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!"

Lately I have been really thinking on this parable, and the whole idea of the rich and heaven. It's really hard to imagine Jesus coming up to you and telling you this, I mean what would you do? Would you sell everything that you had and give up your life to follow Him? I know back then it was probably a little easier to do this, because he was a tangible thing that you could walk and talk with. Now its so different because he isn't standing in front of you saying this to you, but does that mean you shouldn't do it?

As we are about to move in about a month, I look around at our small little apartment, and see so much stuff that I haven't used or even touched since we moved in almost 2 and a half years ago! So now I am in the process of De-cluttering my life and really just making it more simple from clothes to pots and pans to furniture. I honestly feel better knowing I am going to have less stuff crowding my life and stuff that I am attached to. Its like a spring cleaning for the soul.

Which brings me to what we did last night. So Brandon has been on this kick of wanting to go to Dallas and set up and feed some people. I have been really reluctant to go and do this, because I didn't know what to expect, and because I didn't really think anyone would come eat with us. So last night at about ten he drags me to Deep Ellum with a van full of hot dogs, cokes, chips, cookies and a table and chairs. I was really dreading it, and I hate to admit that, but I was. So we get there, and we park and we see a girl and a guy looking for some food, and we tell them we have some hot dogs if they want some. Well pretty soon Charlie and Reese are sitting with us at the table enjoying some good food and great conversation. We ended up feeding probably about 8 or 9 people, some who stayed for food and conversation, and others who had to be on their way. It was such a great experience, and really filled my heart with so much love that I can't even describe it. These people were so gracious and so giving, even though they had nothing, that I can't even describe it. We spend 3 or 4 hours just hanging out with people, and honestly it was one of the least awkward conversations I have had in a long time. They were just so happy to be alive and eating that they were filled with joy!

We are planning to do this every week, and I am so excited to make new friends, and to really touch peoples lives with just some food and conversation. If anyone is interested in going, please load up in the van and come with! It is one of the most rewarding things, and I think you really see the Lord at work!

2 comments:

? said...

dont forget radio, curtis and terry :)

Mrs. Norris said...

Sarah, I hope you know that I am challenged by you and your husband. Keep doing what you are doing! I would like to come next time. See you soon friend!